Astronomy Laboratory 11 – The H-R Diagram
The Hertzsprung-Russell Diagram, H-R Diagram, is a useful tool which plots stellar luminosity versus temperature. Building on the Star Colors and Spectroscopy lab, you will detail how the H-R Diagram works, and plot some of the stars observed in Lab 10, Star Colors and Spectroscopy. (1)
At the end of this module, students will be able to:
- Plot a H-R diagram using provided data
- Analyze the data and make interpretations using the H-R diagram (1)
The material in this module includes content designed to meet the following course outcomes:
- Explain and apply major concepts in astronomy including planets, satellites, stars, meteors, galaxies, and theories of the universe.
- Demonstrate knowledge of scientific method.
- Communicate scientific ideas through oral or written assignments.
- Interpret scientific models such as formulas, graphs, tables and schematics, draw inferences from them and recognize their limitations.
- Demonstrate the ability to think critically.
- Demonstrate the ability to use scientific and quantitative reasoning. (1)
Learning Unit 11
- Plotting a H-R Diagram Exercise
- Lab 11 Quiz (1)
- Authored by: Florida State College at Jacksonville. License: CC BY: Attribution